skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions (Students)


Declaring a Major




Who is my advisor?

To find who your advisor is, you will need to log in to your myOleMiss portal. Click on Academics at the top of the page and look for the link that reads “Advising” on the left tab. After that, you should see a link to “My Advisors”. Click on it and you will be taken to a page containing information as to who your advisor is.

Where on campus can I find my advisor?

It depends. The Center for Student Success and First-Year Experience (located in 350 Martindale) advises all FRESHMAN STUDIES students and all first-year FRESHMEN within the following departments:

  • Majors within the School of Business Administration
  • Majors within the School of Applied Sciences
  • Accountancy
  • Engineering
  • School of Journalism
  • The following majors within the College of Liberal Arts: Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Forensic Chemistry, Economics, English, History, Math, Modern Languages, Political Science, Psychology, Public Policy, Sociology, Anthropology, and Southern Studies.

If you are a SOPHOMORE and have already declared your major, or if your major is not listed above, you will be advised by your department.

How do I schedule a meeting with my advisor?

At the Center for Student Success and First-Year Experience, students can schedule appointments by using our online appointment system. Please find the link to make an appointment directly with your assigned advisor.

How often should I see my advisor?

Students MUST see their advisors at least ONCE every semester. During that meeting, the student and the advisor will collaborate to develop a plan of courses for the following semester. However, at the Center for Student Success and First-Year Experience, we encourage our students to touch base with their advisor quite often throughout the semester. Think of your advisor as a go-to person for any questions and concerns during your freshman year.

How do I know it is time for advising?

You will be informed via EMAIL that advising has begun. Therefore, it is extremely important that you check your Ole Miss email daily for current notices.


How do I register for classes?

You can find a step-by-step registration tutorial on your myOleMiss portal. Look for the link “Registration” at the top of the page. Then, click on “How to Register” on the left tab.

When should I register for classes?

You can find out when your registration window opens on your myOleMiss portal. Look for the link “Registration” at the top of the page. Then, select “Check Registration Window” on the left tab. You will then see the date and time for the beginning of your registration period.

Can I drop classes? How?

You can drop any class without permission until the Deadline for Course Withdrawal (typically on the 6th week of school). However, keep in mind that dropping below 12 hours will put you in part-time status, which may negatively impact your financial aid, housing, health insurance and others. When in doubt, ASK YOUR ADVISOR.

Can I add classes? How?

The last day to add a class (provided that it is open) is the 5th day of class. Between the 5th and the 10th day of class, you may be able to add a class with the instructor’s permission. The instructor must sign an Permission to Add slip which will then need to be turned in to that department chair or dean’s office.

What if I am waitlisted for a class?

There is no guarantee that you will be enrolled in a class you are waitlisted for. It is always best to register for a class that is open, even if the time does not seem ideal to you. If you are still waitlisted on the first day of school, attend that class and speak with your professor afterwards. Your instructor may be willing to enroll you if there are enough seats in the classroom.

Can my advisor get me into a class that is closed?

No. The departments and instructors are in charge of their classes and are the only ones who can make changes to the rosters. When in doubt, contact the department or the instructor.

Can I drop classes after the official drop date?

The short answer is no. However, in cases of extreme and unavoidable situations, students may be allowed to withdraw from a course with the approval of the Dean’s Office. Keep in mind that withdrawn courses will still appear on your transcript. It is ultimately up to the instructor to give you a “W” or an “F”. Therefore, in addition to contacting the Dean’s Office, you should also contact your instructor and inform them of your situation.

Can I register if I have a hold on my account?

Most holds prevent students from registering for classes. Because of this, it is smart to check your holds ahead of time to avoid problems when your registration window opens. When in doubt, contact your academic advisor.

Declaring a Major

What majors and minors does Ole Miss offer?

All majors and minors offered by the University of Mississippi can be found in the academic catalog.

I am not sure what I want to major in. What should I do?

First, there is no need to stress! Many freshmen enter college unsure of what academic major to pursue. In addition, many students change their major quite a few times before they find the best fit. Whether you are completely unsure or stuck between a couple of options, we encourage you to remain Freshman Studies. As a freshman studies student, you will be advised by a professional advisor in the Center for Student Success and First-Year Experience. Our advisors have knowledge concerning every major on campus and will be glad to discuss all options. We will also make sure that you take core classes that are required across majors so that you don’t waste time.

When do I need to declare a major?

You are required to declare a major when you have earned 45 hours. However, you are still allowed to change your major after that.

Do I need to have a minor?

It depends on your major. Some majors and departments require a minor and some don’t. Your advisor will be glad to discuss the specifics with you.


What exactly is the Forgiveness Policy?

This policy is maintained by the Office of the Registrar. Click here for complete details.

Can I take a class at another institution and transfer the credits to Ole Miss?

It depends. Not all courses automatically transfer to the University. If you are planning on taking a course elsewhere, you will need to get approval from your academic Dean’s office by submitting a transient form. In addition, you may check the Transfer Equivalency Resources on your myOleMiss portal. There you can find agreements the University has with many other institutions across the country. When in doubt, don’t hesitate to contact your Academic Advisor.

What if I need tutoring for one of my classes?

The University offers many tutoring opportunity for students. The links below provide details updated each semester for tutoring available on campus for free as well as supplemental programs offered to University of Mississippi students. Students can also contact the course’s department regarding specific tutoring information.

Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning Supplemental Instruction

Tutoring Resources and Help Sessions